Using actexec on a headless server

Post here if you need help using Actiona
pynz

Using actexec on a headless server

Post by pynz »

I have developed some scripts using LinuxMint on Virtualbox [Windows 10] (only after disabling the 3D acceleration) and find the software works really well. Thanks for the tremendous amount of effort you must have put into this project.

The scripts open URLs in Firefox, action various fields and gracefully closes them. What I would now like to do is to move them across to a runtime environment that is a headless ODROID C1+ running ARM32 Ubuntu. Initially, I envisaged running Xvfb and setting that display in bash on the actexec line. Unfortunately, the processor only runs OpenGL ES so does not support full OpenGL functionality. I see that there are headless versions of Chrome and Firefox coming up but suppose that actionaz software will not be able to interface with them?
pynz

Re: Using actexec on a headless server

Post by pynz »

Oops, fuzzy thinking on my part! A single-user standalone peripheral-less computer is not the same as a headless server. All the video machinery is present when an HDMI dummy adapter is used as the monitor is purely an output device. Of course, actexec can provide keyboard and mouse functions. So all I need to do is set up auto user logon after the gui startup and have my application run from the startup menu. Remote access via tightVNC should allow me to follow display operation during development.
eureka

Re: Using actexec on a headless server

Post by eureka »

I have no experience in using ODROID.
But from what I have just read by searching around can't you SSH from your control PC into ODROID
and execute your "remote" actexec (or other) scripts?
You will need to install SSH server capability in Ubuntu in your ODROID target
and setup SSH on your local pc.